Wednesday, April 24, 2013
A huge Thank You! To Christy Willis for nominating "Around The Homestead" for the Liebster Blog Award. Well, okay, it's really a "pass it on" kind of thing for small blogs, but hey, it's nice to be noticed!
Now I get to post 11 facts about myself, answer Christy's 11 questions, and nominate 11 blogs with under 200 followers for the Liebster. This could be fun;)
11 Facts About Me:
1. I have 4 of the most amazing, awesome children anywhere!
2. I am Grandma to 1 incredibly intelligent, genius grandson!
3. I love to travel.
4. I make my own soap, lotion, deodorant and toothpaste.
5. I write.
6. I have played the flute since I was 7 years old, piano since 8.
7. I love camping.
8. I get my milk right from the goat and cow.
9. I raise my meat in my backyard.
10. I steal eggs from my chickens.
11. I love to sew.
Whew! Now for Christy's questions:
1. Who or what is your inspiration?
There are so many inspiring women out there. I love the wisdom of Mother Theresa of Calcutta and the courage of Dorothy Day.
2. What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
Fill the kettle for coffee.
3. How do you handle a stressful day?
Pray, pray, pray. Chocolate.
4. What book do you recommend all parents read to their children?
Just one? Definitely The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also The Chronicles of Narnia.
5. When the kids go to bed what do you do?
Read to them, then read to myself.
6. What is one thing about your past you wish you could change?
Nothing. Everything has brought me to where and who I am today.
7. If you had a million dollars, what would you buy?
I would pay off my debts, put the rest in the bank, and set up special funds for scholarships and other needs in my community.
8. Why did you start blogging?
To discipline myself to write more and experiment with writing styles and topics.
9. Are you going to follow all the award nominees?
10. What is one thing you hope your children remember about you?
That I love them.
11. How would you define your character?
Strong, stubborn, loyal.
My 11 nominees:
Following Him Home
Homesteading In The Southfarthing
I Can't Decide
Joy In The Journey
Live, Laugh, Learn
Reaping A Harvest
Spring Peeper Farm
The Home Front
Training 6 Hearts 4 Him
And so, my awesome nominees, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is:
Post 11 facts about yourself.
Answer my 11 questions to you.
Choose 11 of your favorite blogs under 200 followers and nominate them.
Share the love by following my other nominees.
My 11 questions for you are:
1. What is your favorite hobby?
2. What is your favorite dinner to make for your family?
3. What is one thing you do to keep your sanity during your busy day?
4. What is your favorite book?
5. If you could go anywhere in the world for 2 weeks, where would it be, and why?
6. Who is your favorite musician, and what is your favorite type of music?
7. What is the big thing you want to do "when you retire"/"when the kids are grown"/"whenever"?
8. How do you relax at the end of the day?
9. What is the most important thing you try to teach your children?
10. Are you going to follow all the award nominees?
11. Why do you blog?
Okay, my friends, I hope you enjoy doing this as much as I have. Link back here when you're done, so I can follow your answers;)
Friday, April 5, 2013
A fun read, in the tradition of James Herriot and Tom Dooley, Jungle Doctor follows Australian missionary Dr. Paul White on his daily adventures as a physician to tribal peoples in Tanzania, Africa, where navigating mud tracks, surviving violent whirlwind dust storms and battling a dysentery epidemic are all in a day's work.
Dr. White passes on biblical principles in his daily practice through fables and story telling. With his faithful friend and assistant, Daudi, who also serves as interpreter with the natives, he performs surgery and treats patients in the most primitive conditions. He faces off against witch doctors and drug lords. The doctor's narrative style hooks the reader and rivets him until the final page. Thankfully, there are several more books in the series, so readers can satisfy their need to hear more Jungle Doctor adventures.
I enjoy the way narrator Paul Michael reads with distinct and clear character voices. He is easy to listen to. Of the 29 Jungle Doctor books written by Paul White, Christian Audio has 4 of them in audiobook. Running 2-3 hours each and priced at $10.98, Jungle Doctor and the Whirlwind is great for family listening, car rides, and storytime. Produced in audiobook form for Christian Audio (c)2012.
Thanks to Christian Audio for providing me with a free review copy of this audiobook. No other compensation was received for this review.