Thursday, September 22, 2011
Coyotes in the Classroom
Coyotes took over the schoolroom on Tuesday. When we went out to feed our animals we discovered several holes in the chicken coop just about the right size and height for a coyote snout. Add to that the fact that I've been waking up the last few nights to their howling, and what else could we do? One more night and those holes would be big enough for a grown coyote to go through and we would be waking up to no more chickens. Not to mention the two huge turkeys who will soon be making their way into the freezer.
Fortunately, the last time we had this problem, several years ago, I scrounged a number of pieces of sheet metal to block off the problem areas most of the way around the coop. So just a few yards of flimsy wire netting remained to be reinforced. I explained the problem to my student, and had him inspect the damage. He agreed with me on what needed to be done. We managed to scrounge up one more length of sheet metal, and several pieces of plywood that were not much good for anything else, but perfect for this. So while he held up the "walls" and fished for nails, I hammered away.
After hours of laboring in the late summer sun, we were finally satisfied that our poultry were protected and called it a day. We retreated to the house for shade, cold drinks and a late lunch. With our schedule thrown into chaos, we spent the rest of the week catching up. I am happy to report that we are back on track and ready to begin week 4 of third grade right where we are supposed to...at home;)