Monday, May 21, 2012

A Swarm of Bees


We are still at our "urban homestead", here at my parents' home in the Big City.  Mom has been gone a month and there is still so much to do.

So here is what my youngest son found on my dad's lawn the other night.  It is a swarm of bees, seemingly nesting on the ground.  There were actually two "nests" going, but today they have combined into one "nest".  I googled bees and found that there is indeed a species that nests on the ground.  Whether these are that species or not, hard to say.  The neighbors were being tormented by bees on the streetlight in front of their house, so they called the exterminator.  We believe that these are the bees that came out of that light post.  Of course, my son and I, being bee advocates, want to relocate them.  Dad just wants to get rid of them.  We agreed to see what would happen today, when it warmed up.  Dad was convinced they would leave on their own.  They are still there.  So now I guess it's my turn.  My plan is to dig up the whole nest tonight when they are "asleep" and put it in a bucket with a lid, take it down to the riverbed, which is flanked by several plant nurseries and turn them loose to find a new home for themselves.  I'll report back on how that works out, and hopefully more pics.  Yes, dad, I'll fill in the hole in the lawn...


2 comments:

i cant decide said...

Interesting. What a memorable way to study science.

mrsd said...

It sure is! Hope to get the follow up posted today;)